Call for a Consultation (646) 884-3319

Can I travel if my temporary green card has expired?

The short answer is - yes, you can. But, you have to make sure that you timely applied for "removal of conditions on permanent residency" by filing with the USCIS form I-751. When you receive a receipt notice for filing the I-751, that receipt notice is your evidence of the continued US permanent residency. So when you travel, always have that notice ready to show to the CBP officer at the border.

Even more important, starting September 4, 2021, the USCIS extended the time that you can show such receipt notice as evidence of your status for up to 24 months from the date of the expiration of your Green Card. This is because current processing times for I-751 are very long.

If you have a temporary green card, you have to file the I-751 application within 90 days of the expiration date. If you need help, fill out the contact form on this website, or you can email us at [email protected] or call at 646-884-3319.

Peace of Mind

Working with us will bring you peace of mind. You will feel comfortable knowing that your legal matters are in the experienced, professional hands of Mykyta Law firm.

We understand that clients want greater predictability when it comes to legal costs. Therefore, we offer alternative fee arrangements.

Free Consultation: We can make your life easier. Call us now.